New in 2.3.0:
Geo IP support – choose which continents to display notifications (requires GeoIP Detect plugin to be installed)
New in 2.2.0:
Easily select pages or posts where the cookie notification doesn’t display. You now have complete control over which pages display a notification and which don’t.
Close on scroll – optionally choose scrolling as closure method.
Simple set up
- Choice of dismissal method – on click, on scroll, or timed
- Choice of dismissal element – either button or ‘x’ close
- Option to show the notification on the first page only – subsequent pages visited by the user will not display the message
- Option to exclude selected pages and posts from displaying the notification
- Choice of position – either top or bottom bar, or floating in one of the corners of the screen
- Translation support
- Customization options – including the ability to update styles from within the customizer
- Inherits your theme styles where possible
- The option to use an absolute or external URL to link to for further information
- Set the cookie duration
- Set the cookie version – updating a version will reset the cookie on all user sites
EU ePrivacy Directive
We think this is the simplest but most effective method of dealing with the legislation.
The plug-in is a straightforward approach to help you comply with the EU regulations regarding usage of website cookies. A user to your site is presented with a clear, yet unobtrusive notification that the site is using cookies, and may then acknowledge and dismiss the notification, or click to find out more. The plug-in automatically creates a new page with pre-populated information on cookies and how to disable them, which you may edit further if you wish.
Importantly, the plug-in does not disable cookies on your site or prevent the user from continuing to browse the site.
- Simply install GDPR Cookie Consent Banner on your website from the WordPress plugin directory, or upload the
uk-cookie-consent folder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in your WordPress backend
- Navigate to the Cookie Consent page in your ‘Settings’ menu to configure your consent banner
Where can I find out more about this plug-in?
You can find out more about the plug-in on its plug-in page.
Is there a demo of this plugin?
Yes, feel free to have a look at the demo here. You can reset the cookie by going to this URL.
Will this plugin make me compliant with data privacy legislation like the GDPR?
The short answer is no, this plugin alone will not make you compliant. Compliance with data privacy regulations requires certain efforts on the part of the user that a single plugin alone cannot provide.
You can find more details on the regulations on the Information Commissioner’s Office site.
Can I customize this plugin?
Yes, we offer many customization options, from the position of your banner, to the color of the banner, buttons, and text.
- Updated: tested to 5.0.1
- Minor changes
- Added: activation notice
- Fixed: removed additional body margin for hidden bar
- Fixed: fixed security vulnerability identified by James Boughey
- Updated: removed tracking
- Fixed: removed debug code from main file
- Updated: tracking class
- Updated: minor admin error
- Added: Polylang support for more_info setting
- Added: setting to opt out of tracking
- Updated: tracking class
- Updated: incorrect text domains
- Updated: tracking class to 1.0.1
- Updated: removed unnecessary keys from wpml-config.xml
- Added: tracking
- Added: GeoIP support (suggested by jeffrobbins)
- Fixed: dismissed notification bar obscuring content
- Fixed: correct escaping for more info URL
- Fixed: text domain in class-ctcc-metafield (spotted by mmmisiek)
- Updated: better escaping (suggested by djpaul)
- Added: optionally exclude pages and posts from displaying the cookie notification (suggested by jeffrobbins)
- Added: close notification on scroll option (suggested by jeffrobbins)
- Added: class name for more info link
- Fixed: x-close responsive margin
- Updated: allow shortcodes in notification text
- Updated: better settings sanitization
- Updated: wpml-config.xml file (thanks to vukvukovich)
- Fixed: added missing Italian translation files
- Fixed: replaced wpml-config.xml file
- Updated: translation list
- Fixed: missing images in admin
- Added: Italian translation (thanks to wocmultimedia)
- Added: wpml-config.xml file
- Added: filters on all content
- Fixed: x button colour set by button colour
- Updated: changed button and ‘read more’ elements’ tabindex to 0
- Updated: x button now CSS to avoid missing Unicode character
- Fixed: added flex-shrink: 0 to prevent button overflowing container on mobile
- Fixed: syntax error in class-ctcc-public.php
- Added: priority on add_js
- Updated: admin images in assets folder
- Added: Slovakian translation (thanks to lacike)
- Added: flat button option
- Added: Russian translation
- Fixed: notification hides correctly when stylesheet is dequeued
- Added: Polish translation (thanks to jraczynski for all items in this update)
- Updated: .pot file generated with l18n tool
- Updated: correct text domain in customizer.php
- Updated: removed spaces in translator functions
- Updated: plugin name translatable
- Fixed: more_info_target option not saving
- Fixed: button text getting cropped
- Changed: default position of accept button with notification text
- Fixed: retain settings from previous version
- Major rewrite
- Added: Choice of dismissal method – either on click by the user or timed
- Added: Choice of dismissal element – either button or ‘x’ close
- Added: Option to show the notification on the first page only – subsequent pages visited by the user will not display the message
- Added: Choice of position – either top or bottom bar, or floating in one of the corners of the screen
- Changed: Better translation support
- Changed: Better responsive support
- Changed: More customization options – including the ability to update styles from within the customizer
- Changed: Inherits your theme styles where possible
- Changed: The option to use an absolute or external URL to link to for further information
- Added: Set the cookie duration
- Added: Set the cookie version – updating a version will reset the cookie on all user sites
- Fixed empty space at top of screen when bar is located at the bottom of screen
- Move HTML down to accommodate notification bar rather than obscuring content
- Enqueues JS in footer
- Improved translation support
- Moved JS to footer (thanks to Andreas Larsen for the suggestion)
- Switched the logic so that the bar is initially hidden on the page and only displays if user has not previously dismissed it.
- Gives a slightly better performance.
- Thanks to chrisHe for the suggestion.
- Policy page created on register_activation_hook now
- Tweak to ensure jQuery is a dependency
- Added configuration options for colour and position of bar.
- Set notification button and link to first element in tab list.
- Thanks to husobj for contributions and suggestions including localisation and enqueueing scripts and stylesheets
- Reinstated user-defined permalink field
- Fixed text alignment issue with Thesis framework (thanks to cavnit for pointing this one out)
- Added resources to Settings page
- Added default text to messages
Notification bar along the top of the screen
Detail of notification bar on the bottom of the screen
Notification box in corner
Example settings page