User Role Editor WordPress plugin allows you to change user roles and capabilities easy.
Just turn on check boxes of capabilities you wish to add to the selected role and click “Update” button to save your changes. That’s done.
Add new roles and customize its capabilities according to your needs, from scratch of as a copy of other existing role.
Unnecessary self-made role can be deleted if there are no users whom such role is assigned.
Role assigned every new created user by default may be changed too.
Capabilities could be assigned on per user basis. Multiple roles could be assigned to user simultaneously.
You can add new capabilities and remove unnecessary capabilities which could be left from uninstalled plugins.
Multi-site support is provided.
To read more about ‘User Role Editor’ visit this page at shinephp.com
Do you need more functionality with quality support in a real time? Do you wish to remove advertisements from User Role Editor pages?
Buy Pro version.
User Role Editor Pro includes extra modules:
- Block selected admin menu items for role.
- Hide selected front-end menu items for no logged-in visitors, logged-in users, roles.
- Block selected widgets under “Appearance” menu for role.
- Show widgets at front-end for selected roles.
- Block selected meta boxes (dashboard, posts, pages, custom post types) for role.
- “Export/Import” module. You can export user role to the local file and import it to any WordPress site or other sites of the multi-site WordPress network.
- Roles and Users permissions management via Network Admin for multisite configuration. One click Synchronization to the whole network.
- “Other roles access” module allows to define which other roles user with current role may see at WordPress: dropdown menus, e.g assign role to user editing user profile, etc.
- Manage user access to editing posts/pages/custom post type using posts/pages, authors, taxonomies ID list.
- Per plugin users access management for plugins activate/deactivate operations.
- Per form users access management for Gravity Forms plugin.
- Shortcode to show enclosed content to the users with selected roles only.
- Posts and pages view restrictions for selected roles.
- Admin back-end pages permissions viewer
Pro version is advertisement free. Premium support is included.
You can find more information about “User Role Editor” plugin at this page
I am ready to answer on your questions about plugin usage. Use plugin page comments for that.
- Deactivate plugin if you have the previous version installed.
- Extract “user-role-editor.zip” archive content to the “/wp-content/plugins/user-role-editor” directory.
- Activate “User Role Editor” plugin via ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress admin menu.
- Go to the “Users”-“User Role Editor” menu item and change your WordPress standard roles capabilities according to your needs.
- Does it work with WordPress in multi-site environment?
Yes, it works with WordPress multi-site. By default plugin works for every blog from your multi-site network as for locally installed blog.
To update selected role globally for the Network you should turn on the “Apply to All Sites” checkbox. You should have superadmin privileges to use User Role Editor under WordPress multi-site.
Pro version allows to manage roles of the whole network from the Netwok Admin.
To read full FAQ section visit this page at shinephp.com.
- Security fix: User with ‘edit_users’ capability could assign to another user a role not included into the editable roles list. This fix is required to install ASAP for all sites which have user(s) with ‘edit_users’ capability granted not via ‘administrator’ role.
- Update: URE_Uninstall class properties were made ‘protected’ to be accessible in URE_Uninstall_Pro class included into the Pro version.
- Update: User Role Editor uninstallation was refactored. It fully removes the (‘ure_%’) user capabilities from the user roles data.
- New: Quick filter hides capabilities, which do not contain search string
- Update: CSS enhancement: When site has many custom post types capabilities list section maximal height is limited by real height of the left side (capabilities groups) section, not by 720px as earlier.
- Fix: Empty list of capabilities (0/0) was shown for custom post types (CPT) which are defined with the same capability type as another CPT.
For example courses CPT from LearnDash plugin is defined with ‘course’ capability type (edit_courses, etc.) and other CPT from LearnDash were shown with 0/0 capabilities (lessons, topics, quizzes, certificates).
- New: “Hide Pro banner” checkbox works via AJAX without full page refresh.
- Fix: Undefined variable: $message at wp-content/plugins/user-role-editor/includes/classes/editor.php:898
- Update: Few English grammar enhancements.
File changelog.txt contains the full list of changes.
screenshot-1.png User Role Editor main form
screenshot-2.png Add/Remove roles or capabilities
screenshot-3.png User Capabilities link
screenshot-4.png User Capabilities Editor
screenshot-5.png Bulk change role for users without roles
screenshot-6.png Assign multiple roles to the selected users