Yoast SEO: the #1 WordPress SEO plugin
Need some help with your search engine optimization? Need an SEO plugin that helps you reach for the stars? Yoast SEO is the original WordPress SEO plugin since 2008. It is the favorite tool of millions of users, ranging from the bakery around the corner to some of the most popular sites on the planet. With Yoast SEO, you get a solid toolset that helps you aim for that number one spot in the search results. Yoast: SEO for everyone.
Yoast SEO does everything in its power to please both visitors and search engine spiders. How? Below you’ll find a small sampling of the powers of Yoast SEO:
Taking care of your WordPress SEO
- The most advanced XML Sitemaps functionality at the push of a button.
- Full control over site breadcrumbs: add a piece of code and you’re good to go.
- Set canonical URLs to avoid duplicate content. Never have to worry about Google penalties again.
- Title and meta description templating for better branding and consistent snippets in the search results.
- [Premium] Expand Yoast SEO with the News SEO, Video SEO, Local SEO and WooCommerce SEO extensions.
- [Premium] Need help? Yoast SEO Premium users get 1 year free access to our awesome support team.
Note: some features are Premium. Which means you need Yoast SEO Premium to unlock those features. You can get Yoast SEO Premium here!
Write killer content with Yoast SEO
- Content & SEO analysis: Invaluable tools to write SEO-friendly texts.
- The snippet preview shows you how your post or page will look in the search results – even on mobile. Yoast SEO Premium even has social media previews!
- [Premium] The Insights tool shows you what your text focuses on so you can keep your article in line with your keyphrases.
- [Premium] Synonyms & related keyphrases: Optimize your article for synonyms and related keyphrases.
- [Premium] Automatic internal linking suggestions: write your article and get automatic suggested posts to link to.
Keep your site in perfect shape
- Yoast SEO tunes the engine of your site so you can work on creating great content.
- Our cornerstone content and internal linking features help you optimize your site structure in a breeze.
- Integrates with Google Search Console: See how your site performs in the search engines and fix crawl errors.
- Manage SEO roles: Give your colleagues access to specific sections of the Yoast SEO plugin.
- Bulk editor: Make large-scale edits to your site.
- [Premium] Social previews to manage the way your page is shared on social networks like Facebook and Twitter.
- [Premium] Redirect manager: It keeps your site healthy by easily redirecting errors from Google Search Console, deleted pages and changed URLs.
The Yoast team does not always provide active support for the Yoast SEO plugin on the WordPress.org forums, as we prioritize our email support. One-on-one email support is available to people who bought Yoast SEO Premium only.
Note that the Yoast SEO Premium also has several extra features too, including the option to have synonyms and related keyphrases, internal linking suggestions, cornerstone content checks and a redirect manager, so it is well worth your investment!
You should also check out the Yoast Local SEO, Yoast News SEO and Yoast Video SEO extensions to Yoast SEO. They work with the free version of Yoast SEO already, and these premium extensions of course come with support too.
Bug reports for Yoast SEO are welcomed on GitHub. Please note GitHub is not a support forum, and issues that aren’t properly qualified as bugs will be closed.
For more info on search engine optimization, check out the following:
From within WordPress
- Visit ‘Plugins > Add New’
- Search for ‘Yoast SEO’
- Activate Yoast SEO from your Plugins page.
- Go to “after activation” below.
- Upload the
wordpress-seo folder to the
- Activate the Yoast SEO plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to “after activation” below.
- You should see (a notice to start) the Yoast SEO configuration wizard.
- Go through the configuration wizard and set up the plugin for your site.
- You’re done!
You’ll find answers to many of your questions on kb.yoast.com.
Release Date: November 21th, 2018
- Fixes a bug where the title and meta description field’s cursor would jump to the start when typing.
Release Date: November 20th, 2018
- Adds support for the ‘eye’ markers in Gutenberg using the experimental annotations API in Gutenberg. They will work for the paragraph, quote, heading and list blocks.
- Adds the latest og:locale options provided by Facebook. Props to valtlfelipe
- Adds support for oEmbed utilization of Yoast custom fields (post meta) values. Specifically the image and the title. Props to ben-caplan
- Defines attachment as non-accessible when attachment urls are redirected to the attachment file itself. Props to stodorovic
- Improves the accessibility of the “Bulk editor” and “Search console” tables.
- Hides SEO title and metadescription fields on the author edit page when the author archives are disabled.
- Replaces Settings ZIP download (export) and upload (import) functionality with Settings fields.
- Fixes a bug where assessments would fail if a “<” character is present in the content.
- Fixes a bug where the excerpt replacement variable will output a piece of the post content when no excerpt is given.
- Fixes a bug where the wrong title is rendered for the WooCommerce product archive.
- Fixes a bug where the Yoast metabox is visible even when the attachment urls are redirected to the attachment file itself.
- Fixes a bug where the Dashboard Widget was not displayed in the correct language.
- Fixes a bug in combination with Gutenberg where paragraphs were sometimes not correctly detected because paragraph tags were not automatically added in WordPress-like fashion.
- Fixes a bug in combination with Gutenberg where multiple marker buttons could be active at the same time.
- Fixes a bug in combination with Gutenberg where escaped HTML is shown in the OpenGraph description.
- Adds the
__block_editor_compatible_meta_box flag to our metabox registrations to indicate they are compatible with WordPress 5.0.
- Fixes a possible command execution by users with SEO Manager roles. Props to Dimopoulos Elias
- Disables the non-functioning markers for the subheading distribution assessment.
- Refactor SEO assessment filenames and exports. Props to Kingdutch
- Deprecates the
Release Date: November 6th, 2018
- Improves keyphrase recognition in the first paragraph on texts which start with images and captions.
- Adds a warning notification to the permalink settings page, linking to a knowledge base article. Props to valtlfelipe
- Adds the filter
wpseo_opengraph_is_valid_image_url that allows custom image URL validation. Props to petenelson
- Updates the font size of the snippet title measure element to correctly mimic Google desktop snippet title. Props to ol0lll
- Fixes a bug where the featured image was not recognized in the SEO analysis when using Gutenberg.
- Fixes an accessibility issue where focus would be lost when removing an uploaded image in the configuration wizard.
- Fixes a bug where notices were being thrown when quick editing a post and no post type object could be found.
- Fixes a bug where a dependency wasn’t loaded for the SEO -> Tools page.
- Fixes a faulty reference to the old SEOAssessor class.
- Fixes the copy of the date archives help text which contains faulty information. Props to mkronenfeld
- Fixes the spelling of the words “plug-in” and “set-up”. Props to pedro-mendonca
- Fixes a bug where a type error is thrown when the posts or terms focus keyword isn’t of the type WP_Post as this can collide with third-party plugins.
- Changes the reference in the admin bar menu from “AdWords External” to “Google Ads”.
- Removes non-functioning eye-markers for the link keyphrase assessment.
For the changelog of earlier versions, please refer to https://yoa.st/yoast-seo-changelog
The Yoast SEO plugin general meta box. You'll see this on edit post pages, for posts, pages and custom post types.
Example of the SEO analysis functionality.
Example of the readability analysis functionality.
Overview of site-wide SEO problems and possible improvements.
Control over which features you want to use.
Easily import SEO data from other SEO plugins like All In One SEO pack, HeadSpace2 SEO and wpSEO.de.